MBR MEMBRANE BIOREACTOR
- A Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor (MBBR) also known as MBBR media consists of an aeration tank which is similar to an activated sludge tank with special plastic carriers that provide a surface where a biofilm can grow.
- In MBBR technology thousands of polyethylene biofilm carriers are used to operate in mixed motion inside the aeration tank.
- There is a protected surface on each biofilm carrier which increases the productivity and growth of heterotrophic and autotrophic bacteria within its cells.
- It is this high-density population of bacteria that achieves high-rate biodegradation within the system while also offering process reliability and ease of operation.
- Arvind Envisol is a MBBR provider with a higher surface are compared to other providers in India.
Advantages of MBBR
- MBBR system requires a lesser footprint compared to activated sludge system, because the biomass in MBBR is more concentrated and the efficiency of the system is less dependent on the final sludge.
- MBBR system doesn’t need the recycling of the sludge.
- An existing plant’s capacity can be increased using MBBR as a retrofit.
- MBBR has a higher effective sludge retention time (SRT), which is favourable for nitrification.
- As there is no sludge return time process performance is independent of the secondary clarifier.